Monday, March 9, 2009

Reading List 2009

2009 can effectively be called the Year of Reading for me, or lets hope so in anyways. I have always enjoyed reading but over the past few months my appetite for it has increased as hopefully my appetite for brownies has decreased....maybe...

So without adieu, in no particular order, here is my 2009 reading list...so far:

*Pursuit of God by A. W. Tozer- My friend, Glenn recommends this book on his Top 10 reading list and says the following about this book: "It's a little book jammed with insight into life with God. It will make you uncomfortable with your walk with God as it currently is. And that's a good thing."

*Parenting with Love and Logic by Foster W. Cline and Jim Fay- My friend, Melanie highly recommended this book series. As we enter a new phase of parenting with Malone, I want to be informed, creative and resourceful. This book is part of that quest.

*Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte- I know it is shameful how few of the classics I have read. I can hear my friend, Laura Caldwell gasping now that I have never read this romantic classic.

*How Then Shall We Live: the Rise and Decline of Western Thought and Culture by Francis Schaeffer- This one made my husband's Top Ten list and said the following about it: "A book for anyone that wants to know how our present culture got to where it is today and the people, ideas, and moments that acted as the catalysts. Schaeffer makes history incredibly relevant and interesting." Sounds good to me.

*Shepherding a Child's Heart
by Ted Tripp- I have heard so many good things about this book. Amazon said this about the book, "Written for parents with children of any age, this insightful book provides perspectives and procedures for shepherding your child's heart into the paths of life. Shepherding a Child's Heart gives fresh biblical approaches to child rearing."

*Knowledge of the Holy by A.W. Tozer- A Christian must-read, or so I've been told, about the attributes of God.

*The Eyre Affair: A Thursday Next Novel
by Jasper Fford- Recommended by my mom. My mom reads cool stuff.

* Jesus Among Other Gods by Ravi Zacharias- Written by apologetics scholar, and recently, CNN tv host, Ravi Zacharias "contrasts the truth of Jesus with founders of Islam, Hinduism, and Buddhism, strengthening believers and compelling them to share their faith with our post-modern world." One of my favorite classes in college was Comparative Religions. I think this book will be in the same vein.

* Outliers: The Story of Success by Malcolm Gladwell- I'm actually currently reading this one. I have loved all of Gladwell's books (Tipping Point, Blink) for his interesting sociological insights. My favorite tidbit of this book so far is the correlation Gladwell makes between the most successful Canadian Ice Hockey players and their birth dates. Super interesting.

I also want to read a Russian author (maybe finish Anna Karenina), an autobiography/biography and some more on current events.

Any suggestions on what else I should read? I'm up for anything, fiction, non-fiction, classic, non-classic, etc. Share the wealth of wisdom!

5 comments:

Susan Z said...

My husband and I read a book he heard about on NPR last summer and it was very good. The book was called Replay by Ken Grimwood and the guy does go through a gratuitous sex stage so if you are particularly sensitive to that you might not want to read it. However, it is sort of an extended "Ground Hog Day" in that he gets to relive a portion of his life over again and again.

Anonymous said...

The author Francine Rivers is wonderful!! The book Redeeming Love is retelling the biblical story of Gomer and Hosea, but set during the gold rush. The Mark of the Lion series is wonderful too. You won't be able to put them down!

sara, darling said...

i'm an english major, and going to be teacher, so i've got your classics covered in case you want suggestions :)

mark twain is very entertaining, for sure. i just finished hemingway's the sun also rises, and liked it too, but he is different. doris kearns goodwin is a brilliant writer, and her book about lincoln and his team is very historical but wonderful. have fun reading!

Unknown said...

I'm reading a book right now called Three Cups of Tea. (You and Cam got it for me for Christmas!) It's really good so far! If you haven't already read it, I would definately recommend it :)

Anonymous said...

haha I totally did gasp at the Jane Eyre thing :) Also you should read all six of the main Jane Austen books. I agree that everything Francine Rivers is good. And love those Tozer ones. Aaron would gasp about you having not read Knowledge of the Holy yet. :) Noelle has said her favorite American author is Hemingway, who I think Glenn has been reading lately too. I already recommended some Eugene books... so I think you've got enough to keep you busy for a while. I'm so impressed that you're managing to read more with a small child!