Monday, March 8, 2010

Another first

Friday, we had another first. Let me tell you how our day went.

After a great morning where I bathed myself, Malone and Judah, blow-dried Malone's hair and got all of us dressed (we looked so darn cute), I was feeling pretty good. We ate lunch, attempted a nap time for Malone, and I decided to schlep the kids Target in hopes of Malone napping on the way home.

We had a great time at Target. I bought some new workout dvd's, weights, baby stuff and even checked out their patio furniture all while Judah was sleeping in his car seat, serenely, and Malone was quietly enjoying her dried cranberries (which we can't go anywhere without...we're keeping Craisins in business). I should've known that everything was too good.

All of a sudden Malone says, "Mama, ouch, berry in nose", while trying to pick her nose. "Ummmm...what?????" I respond in disbelief. "Did you just stick a cranberry up your nose?", I ask, desperately hoping she says no. "Yes."

So I freaked out a little and scared her and she started crying and I realized that I had to remain calm to get her to calm down. I could see it...I think. How hard could it be to get it out? I just need tweezers. So I ran over to the beauty department and found tweezers, tried to open them, but the plastic was impossibly stuck on the one side. Ughhhh, serious? Frantically, I grabbed another pair and attempted the cranberry rescue to no avail. I only attempted the rescue once, because I was so scared of hurting Malone and pushing it in further. We left Target in a hurry.

I called my mom like any good daughter would do. She gave me some sage advice. I headed home and called Cameron on the way to let him know and to have him call the pediatrics clinic. Should I bring her in? Apparently, no. I had to take her straight to the ER!!! I did not realize that it was THAT big of a deal. But we headed to the hospital, ready for a LONG afternoon/evening/night at the ER.

When we arrived at the hospital, I had Judah in his carseat in one arm, Malone in the other arm, and the heavy diaper bag schlepped around my shoulder. What a sight! I think they felt sorry for me, because the staff rushed us ahead of a bunch of people, and soon the little red culprit was out of Malone's left nostril. She didn't even cry. An hour and a half after having arrived at the ER, we left. So I thank you, staff of Madigan Army Hospital, for being so kindhearted and seeing a military mom with a newborn and a two year old and having pity on her/cutting her some slack. I will never forget you.

PS: Where was Cameron? At work, solving the problems in Afghanistan singlehandedly... and he couldn't get away.

So now we foreign objects in the nose.


Susan Z said...

One technique to try (before heading to the ER) is to close off the open nostril, cover her mouth, and make her blow really hard...I've had success a couple of times (from a child who decided that once was not enough to really test the principle about whether you should stuff things in your nose).

Leigh Anna said...

I think Malone is showing off some skin...scandalous!

Leigh Anna said...

I think Malone is showing a little too much skin....scandalous!