Sunday, November 2, 2008

Love/Hate relationship with Fall Back

I love sleep. I love the feeling of being gently woken up by the sunlight and nothing else. No alarm clocks. No one saying, "Wakey, Wakey, its time to rise and shine." I love when you wake up and you feel ready for the day. I love when you wake up early and realize you still have another 4 hours of sleep at your disposal. That's why I used to love Daylight Savings time in the fall. I used to love "falling back".

However, since having Malone, its just not the same. She doesn't seem to be enjoying the extra sleep available to her. So, this morning when I thought it was the ungodly hour of 5 am, her body was actually telling her it was the not-so-bad hour of 6am. The same weirdness went for her whole schedule today, eating lunch at way early or late depending on how you see it and going to bed at the time she would normally take a bath. Plus, she's been sick so everything is weird in anyways. So, an event that I used to love now has become a pain in my getting- firmer- rear.

Any suggestions on how to deal with this weird time change thing in terms of baby schedule?

Just when I think I'm getting the hang of this parenting thing, it all changes.

On the upside, my birthday is coming up and I thought I was going to have to celebrate alone. But I have an amazing best friend who is coming to see me (hopefully, if it all works out). I love you, Sarabeth!! You put the BEST in best friend...hahaha...I'm feeling particularly witty this evening.

2 comments:

hillarie said...

I knew there was a reason I never put my kids on a schedule! It comes in really handy when daylight savings rolls around. But it kind of sucks the rest of the year.
We miss you guys! Tell my hubby hello! I think you might see him before I do.

Susan Z said...

First I must preface this that I am incredibly bad about bringing my children to bed with me to coax them into sleeping just a little bit longer. I would say either make incremental changes(like adjust 15 minutes for several days until you are at the time you want to be), or try and keep her up from her nap a bit longer because for us the nap usually is the pivoting point for our day and a late nap will push our bedtime back. My other thing to suggest, and I know it may be difficult if you have gray weather, is to take her outside for awhile with arms and/or legs exposed and let light therapy help reset her internal clock.