Saturday, April 24, 2010

Mom vs. Mommy

So Malone has started calling me, "Mom." I cringe every time I hear her say it. Why? I'm not a "mom" yet, I'm still a "mommy".

See, there's a difference. I can hear her with that teenage twinge in her voice, saying, "Maaaa-umm", which really means, "You're so uncool, you female parental figure of mine. Please don't embarrass me in front of my friends!" Whereas, "mommy" is said either in a moment of sadness, "I want Mommy to kiss my ouchie better" (super sweet, right?) or my current favorite Malone-phrase, "Mommy, I love you!"

How do I tell her that she's not allowed to call me "mom" but rather I want her to call me "mommy" forever, and ever? Oh and also, that she's not allowed to grow up any more and needs to stay my sweet, little 2 year old, Malulu forever?

1 comment:

Sara Kay said...

It cracks me up when my kids call me mom. I don't feel like a "mom" yet either. But there are certain benefits to the kids growing up. I can't believe all the things my kids understand now. We can have real live conversations. :)