Thursday, September 18, 2008

A letter to my baby


Dear Malolo,

I'm sitting in the living room with quietness surrounding me. You are asleep and I miss you already. Even though you are only a few rooms away, I miss your smiling face, your little babble and hearing the little shuffle of your crawl around the house. You are one of the biggest joys in my life and I just wanted to write you a quick note sharing some of my thoughts about you, with you.

Your sweet spirit is evident to anyone who meets you. You smile at everyone and even if you don't befriend them right away, you will soon thereafter. You have such a warm smile and your giggle is infectious. I can't help but laugh when you laugh, and then you just laugh more and then I laugh more. Its a laugh cycle. :) The Lord has answered my prayer by giving you a joyful heart. People stop mommy and daddy everywhere we go, telling us how beautiful you are. Although you are definitely incredibly beautiful, I think that it is your sweet spirit and kind, gentle heart that draws people to you.

I admire your courage and fearlessness even though you are only a little baby. Not much scares you and you are willing to take chances (and steps) even when you know that you might fall. I look at how fearless you are and it stirs up courage in my heart to do the things in life that is not easy, but necessary.

I treasure the special moments we share. A laugh here (I swear we have our own inside jokes), a game there (Oupa's African Belly Biter is my favorite) and the sweet moments I get to steal right before you go to sleep. It is these moments that reminds me of the enormity of the love you are versus the smallness of the weariness from the uncertainty about how to parent you best.

I love you enormously.

Love,

Your favorite Mama in the world!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Not sappy at all... so beautiful! I knew you would be an amazing momma!!! Love you and miss ya!

Justin Steinhart said...

That touched my heart today...miss you guys.

Cameron Schaefer said...

great poem wifey, you hit the nail on the head, so glad I get to do life with you and our beautiful daughter!

Marelize said...

@yami, thanks for your encouraging words.

@Justin, glad I could brighten your day a bit. Malone misses her Uncle Justin's hugs.

@Cameron, Malone told me this morning how much she misses you and can't wait to see you. She said, "da da da da da da da da da dldjhgslhfgsf". I agreed.

Katrina said...

Hey sweet friend. Loved the letter to Malone. I know that these are things our little ones will cherish. You are a fabulous mommy. Wishing we lived closer. Hugs.