Monday, February 22, 2010

I am learning...

Love is patient. When I'm in a desperate hurry and Malone is taking FOR- EV-ER to put on her shoes. Love is patient.

Love is kind. It anticipates the delight of my 2 year old when I say that I want to color with her.

It does not envy. It does not want in my kids or husband that which they will never possess. They are who they are.

It does not boast. Love does not magnify its sacrifices or hardships in an effort to "win" some sort of "life is harder for me than you" game.

It is not proud. It realizes that it is not because of how inherently great I am that my kids are so wonderful.

It is not rude. It is considerate.

It is not self- seeking. Love realizes that some phases of life is more about the needs of the babies than about the desires of the mom. A time will come when a Barnes & Noble reading afternoon is easily achieved.

It is not easily angered. When Judah is FINALLY asleep and Malone runs around being silly and jovial and inevitably wakes him up, love keeps its cool and does not fly off the handle.

It keeps no record of wrongs. It doesn't remember how many times I've been spit up on. It doesn't remember the words said to me in a moment of frustration. It doesn't remember how many times I've changed a poopy diaper today.

Love does not delight in evil but rejoices in truth. Love delights in the flowering of truth in my family.

It always protects. Love moves toys I know a little one will trip on and then teaches the little one to put away toys.

Always trusts. It trusts that a husband will always see his wife.

Always hopes. It believes that my family will demonstrate love to others.

Always perseveres. Love carries on. It persists. It keeps going. And going. And going. And when it wants to stop, when it's tired, dirty, sore and hungry, it keeps going.

Love never fails.

3 comments:

Catherine W said...

Beautiful!

Martha Kruger said...

Marelize, dankie hiervoor. On a day like today it really blessed me to hear this, fresh from your heart and life. Although my circumstances are different to yours, I can relate. Thanks so much for sharing this.
You ARE BLESSED!

Laura Tucker said...

Thank you Marelize - I loved this. :)