Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Baby Update

Yes folks, I am 33 weeks pregnant with little baby boy Schaefer. My belly feels huge, although I am told its not really that big. My back is sore, maybe due to the nerve in my lower back that he's using as a pillow and my ribs are bruised due to our little athlete's early training program. But otherwise I'm feeling pretty darn good. Here's a good look at the belly.

Its weird to think that in 7 weeks, the playing field will be a bit more even on the Team Kids vs. Team Parents game. We're ready for the most part, just missing a couple of little things like pacifiers and washcloths. Really, I just need to get my butt in gear and go to the store and buy it. Worse comes to worse, who needs pacifiers and washcloths to survive?

We've decided on what kind of double stroller we want, but we'll probably wait until the baby gets here to see if we really need it. For you gear heads, after much research we've decided on the Baby Jogger City Mini Double stroller. Beautiful, I know...but that's not why we're getting it. What kind of researcher would I be if the reason ended there?And I still need to order my baby wrap/sling/thing.

See, having a baby is easy. :) hahaha.

Oh speaking of easy, I had my first appointment with the mid-wife this week. Yes, I took the plunge and switched to the mid-wifery program. I switched for many reasons but mostly for continuity of care within our crazy military medical system. Still not 100% sold on the natural birth, because I just loved the dickens out of my epidural when I had Malone. But we'll see.

Ummm...I was a little concerned however, when we were talking about Malone's birth and I informed the mid-wife that Malone's birth was only 5 hours long (pretty short for a first baby) and I was induced (which I guess usually means labor is longer). She just looked at me and laughed and said, "Well, girl, I wouldn't wait until your contractions get too regular before you come to the hospital! But don't worry, I guess you can always call 911. You wouldn't be the first." What?!!! Plus, we live a good 30-45 minutes from the hospital! Needless to say, my fears about having this baby in the Jeep, in traffic, on the way to the hospital, with Cameron having to cut the umbilical chord with rope or butter knife, was NOT relieved.

On the plus side of things, I get a special maternity parking permit at my next appointment. They have special...aka..super close parking spots reserved for preggos all over the base. I don't usually shop at the Commissary (grocery store) very often, but I will start, just so I can use my handy dandy parking permit.

Anyways, there's the long awaited baby update. I better run. Time to test Cameron on his "delivering a baby in a cinch" procedures. Luckily for him, no flash cards will be used today. Ha Ha. One can never be too prepared.

2 comments:

Sara Joy Martin said...

Um...I think you look fantastic for being so close to the end of your pregnancy. I mean really...you are gorgeous! I can't wait to see you in just a few short weeks. And it was great to read a baby update :) Can't wait to meet the little man.

Sara Kay said...

Yay for 33 weeks! :) You look terrific. If you want a couple of really good natural childbirth books to peruse, The Thinking Woman's Guide to a Better Birth by Goer, and Husband Coached Childbirth by Bradley are great ones. If you do decide to go natural, it's a good idea to take Bradley childbirth classes together so you understand what you're doing. It's not something most people are able to just do, with the offer of meds sitting right there. :) I've done a c-section and a homebirth though, and I'd do the homebirth 10 more times before choosing another C. Not even kidding. It's an amazing thing to experience and accomplish.

OK. Done with the commercial. ;)