Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Cameron's Birthday Feast- Part 2

And the feasting continues!

After I got the beef short ribs in the oven, and they roasted nice and slow for a couple hours, I took it out. Since the ribs rendered so much fat, I transferred the mixture to another bowl and put it in the fridge for a little bit, so that the fat could harden, making it a million times easier to remove. A little bit of fat adds flavor, but no one wants to feel like they are drinking oil.

While the beef was de-fatting (you like that? I just made it up...on the spot...I'm smart like that), it was time to start on desserts. I know, people, I really love my husband. I was in the kitchen, literally, THE WHOLE DAY. No resting for this little pregnant lady.

Chocolate cake is one of Cameron's absolute favorites. So much so, that I had already made another one 2 days earlier for our missional community at church. Aren't they beauties? I wish I liked chocolate cake more.
Selfishly, I made a dessert for me too. I'm a little bit of a fruit fanatic, so when my friend Brittany made this cobbler of the blueberry variety, I knew I was in love. So I made it with blueberries, raspberries and blackberries, all on sale at Safeway for $1.98 a pack. It was meant to be.
Consider this cobbler my rest. Who needs to sit down or take a nap when they can have this?
(This isn't even cooked yet)
Oh yes, and somewhere in here I roasted some vegetables. Zucchini, parsnips (my new fave), potatoes, onions...all until they are nice and golden.

Then it was time to enjoy the fruits of my labor along with our good friend, Beau Suder. Boy, it was good. Its going in my "favorite" recipes file.
Luckily the night didn't end there... dessert was still left and some of our favorite friends showed up to help.
Here's the girls. The boys were WAY too deep in solving the world's problems to be bothered for a picture.

Ahhh, good food + good friends = one great night!

No comments: